It Turns Out Macca’s Touchscreens Are Covered In Poo Because We Don’t Deserve Nice Things
Step away from the touchscreen and go talk to a real person like they did in the 1800s, because it turns out Macca’s self-serve touchscreens are covered in traces of poo.
According to an investigation commissioned by Metro in the UK, traces of faeces were found on every single McDonald’s touchscreen swabbed. Nowhere is safe anymore.
Samples were taken from the recent self-serve computers that have been rolled out at restaurants across the UK. Regarding the findings, London Metropolitan University lecturer in microbiology Dr Paul Matawele said:
“We were all surprised how much gut and faecal bacteria there was on the touchscreen machines. These cause the kind of infections that people pick up in hospitals,” he said.
“For instance, Enterococcus faecalis is part of the flora of gastrointestinal tracts of healthy humans and other mammals. It is notorious in hospitals for causing hospital-acquired infections.”
But it’s not just the poo we have to fear. The study found traces of staphylococcus on one screen, a type of bacteria that can cause blood poisoning and toxic shock syndrome.
Might be time to start talking to servers IRL, hey!